Displaying artwork in your home can bring a sense of joy and personalisation to your space. Not only that, but it can also be a reflection of your taste and style. When using an art hanging system and choosing artwork to display in your home, it’s important to consider the following: the size of the work, the colour scheme of the room, the overall design of the space, and the lighting. Depending on these factors, there are a few different ways to hang artwork, the most common being at eye level so viewers can appreciate the piece without having to strain their neck or crouch down. Another popular option is to create a gallery wall, which is a great way to add visual interest to a room while also displaying multiple pieces at once. When done correctly, displaying artwork in your home can be a beautiful and impactful addition. So, if you’re looking to add a touch of art to your walls but are unsure of all how to do it correctly, don’t worry, The Gallery System UK is here to help! In this blog post, we’ll discuss the best way to hang art on your wall for maximum impact so that you can create a gallery wall that is both stylish and functional.
Remember, You Are Decorating a Wall
Your purpose for hanging art should be to fill the wall with art that you love and those pieces should complement the room, not compete against it. With that in mind, you’ll want to keep a few key things in mind when choosing art for your gallery wall:
- Choose artwork that is cohesive in terms of colour, theme, and/or subject matter. This will create a sense of unity on your gallery wall and make the overall look more polished.
- Stick to one or two dominant colours to create a visual focal point. A common mistake people make is choosing too many colours for their gallery wall, which can end up looking chaotic and busy.
- If you’re hanging multiple pieces of art, vary the sizes to add visual interest. Having all small pieces or all large pieces will make your wall look unbalanced.
- Consider the frame of each piece of art. Using similar frames for all the pieces will create a sense of cohesion while using different frames will add visual interest.
Another option is to use art hanging systems that allow you to create a grid gallery wall. This will give the illusion of one large piece while still allowing you to showcase multiple works of art.
Let Your Favourite Pieces of Artwork Shine!
If, like most people, in your art collection, there’s undoubtedly a favourite piece of work. Use your preferred art hanging systems to make it the star of the show. The simplest way to do this is by hanging it alone on a large wall or above a fireplace. However, if it’s small in size, you may like to hang it as part of a gallery wall but still have it take centre stage. To achieve this, consider the following art hanging tips:
- Hang the feature piece in the middle of the wall or slightly off-centre to capture attention
- Use art hanging systems to create a frame around the artwork with smaller pieces.
- Make sure there’s enough negative space around the piece so that it doesn’t get lost amongst the other artworks
The Dos and Don’ts of Creating a Gallery Wall
When choosing art and art hanging systems for your gallery wall, there are a few general dos and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Do consider the size of the room when choosing the number of artworks for your gallery wall. A small room can be overwhelmed by a large gallery wall, while a large room may need multiple artworks to create impact.
- Do use art hanging systems that allow you to adjust the placement of each piece until you’re happy with the arrangement. This will help you avoid any mistakes and make sure everything is level. Pre-planning is key here!
- Don’t forget about balance! When arranging your artwork, be mindful of creating a balanced look. This means avoiding putting all the heavy pieces on one side or making the arrangement too symmetrical.
- Don’t rush the job! You’ll want to enjoy your art for years to come, so there’s no need to hurry when hanging it on the wall. Take your time to find the perfect art hanging system and artwork for your space.
Following these art hanging tips will help you create a gallery wall that is both stylish and impactful. And if you need help deciding on the most suitable art hanging system, be sure to come see us at The Gallery System UK. Our team would be more than happy to help you find the perfect solution to help you transform any blank wall into a work of art!